Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Adventure in Staying Focused

It's a scary world out there, folks!
Especially if you ever want to see a book of yours nestled in a neat and tidy bookshelf in bookstores across the country, or crammed into those bookshelves that never seem to be quite big enough in the homes of readers. (Side Note: I am one of those individuals who can never find a bookshelf big enough. I am an intense bookaholic and in being so I am continually buying new books. So not only is the bookshelf in my room over flowing, but I have taken over four other bookshelves in my house. Sorry family!)
However, in order to see my book in any kind of bookshelf I have to find a literary agent, get published, and oh yeah, FINSIH MY BOOK!
I find myself becoming insanely inspired over the slightest things and so I rush to my computer in search of my story, but then I find myself on blogs and websites of my favorite authors. I'm starting to think I have a problem because sometimes I don't even know how I get onto these websites.
But it isn't all for naught, not only do I enjoy myself carousing around these websites but I find out interesting things that will help me on the road to getting published. Thankfully these favorite authors of mine give good writing and publishing tips. But they also give guidelines and reality checks for how hard it is to get published.
But this is where I begin to feel about the size of Stuart Little (For those of you wondering, that's about two inches). The phrase "It's a dog eat dog world" doesn't even come close to describing the world of getting published. Writing is hard work, wracking your brain for the practically perfect opening line to hook the reader, trying to make the characters seem real so the reader feels they could ask them to grab a quick cup of coffee, and making the plot seem effortless and unique.
And once you are done with the whole nose to the grindstone... or in my case, nose to the keyboard, here comes the part where your self confidence will plummet. From what I have read, most authors get turned down around FIFTY times before they ever get published. Now let's think about that for a minute. Fifty can seem like a very non-threatening number... for example, "I'll have fifty scoops of ice cream" doesn't seem so bad, but "My little book I poured my heart and soul into was told fifty times that it wasn't good enough"is a downright tragedy.
However, I am determined NOT to let that bring me down. If I never get published, that still won't keep me from writing. If someone told me to stop writing that would be like them saying "Stop being Robyn".
It's a scary world out there but sometimes it is good to be scared because you can see how strong you really are. And so I need to stop looking at other people's websites (or at least cut way back... let's face it, I will not be able to do it cold turkey) and stop thinking about getting published and just focus on finishing my book.

Enough rambling for now!


2 comments:

  1. It IS a scary world, Robyn. :)

    Hey, thanks so much for the blog follow - hooray for aspiring writers! Appreciate you following and hope you visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you so much for stopping by! You are welcome here anytime. I think you have a very lovely blog, and I will definitely keep checking it out!

      Delete