Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Adventure of the Romantic Hero



Nearly everybody gets twitterpated in the springtime.

But, this feeling of floating on clouds isn't just around in the spring for those who read.

Love at first sight? More like, love at first paragraph.

There is a fever known to many readers as "Fictionalitis". It is a sickness that has no cure. Yes, this is the condition in where people are in love with fictional characters. Every reader is guilty of this. These characters float right out of the black and white pages of our favorite books and right into our hearts where they refuse to leave. Not that we mind.

You never forget your first love.

Mine was none other than Gilbert Blythe, the hero from one of the best books known to literature, Anne of Green Gables. Anne might not have liked when he called her "carrots", but I certainly found it charming.


But even as bad as it may be to carry torch for a fictional character, the fall is even harder when you go head over heels for a character you wrote for your own story.

Of this I am quite guilty.

In fact, in the novel I'm writing right now (on page 82) I just introduced the romantic hero. I know, I'm already on page 82 and am just now introducing the romantic hero? Trust me, he's worth the wait.  There's nothing like a handsome fictional character to get your inspiration tank to full.

Now, it might be those blossoms that are hugging tree branches in the spring sunshine that is making my sentimental heart want to write about a romantic hero. For a hopeless romantic such as myself, writing about the leading man and how he settles in the heart of the main character is always my favorite part. It's also the part I work the hardest at. The romance is the heart of the story and therefore the beat needs to be strong and true.

I had my writing partner read the first part where I introduce the romantic hero and judging by her giggles, I'm guessing he had the same effect on her as he does on me.

Hopefully one day you will read my novel and fall in love with the romantic hero as well!

Enough rambling for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment