Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Germany Adventure

               
                                                   
The first hint about my novel that I'm working on! Half of my book is set in...Good ol' Germany!

Germany is a breathtaking and beautiful country. Germany is famous for many things, such as, the birthplace of Albert Einstein, the astounding Neuschwanstein Castle (Fun Fact for the day: Walt Disney modeled Sleeping Beauty's castle off of the Neuschwanstein). However, my personal favorite thing about Germany, is it is where The Brothers Grimm traveled near and far, here and there, up and down, writing down stories that are now our beloved fairy tales. (Thank you boys!)



                                (The Neuschwanstein Castle. This is what I call a vacation home.)


 I don't think I realized at first what exactly I had done to myself. I was way too caught up in the excitement of writing a new story. How am I supposed to write a novel that takes a place in a country I have never been to. The closest encounter I have ever had with Germany is I sat by a girl, who had just moved from Germany, in my American history class in high school. If only I knew what I know now. I would have asked her every question under the moon about Germany. Of course, I don't think I would have gotten very far. I would have been too distracted by how cool her accent sounded.

And then I had another lightbulb go off when I realized that not only is my knowledge about this country limited, but I know nothing of their language! Once again the closest encounter I have with the German language is my cousin who took German for three years in high school (Hi Jeffy).

So I took matters into my own hands and actually sent an e-mail to the tourism center of the town where my novel is set. I have never done so much research for a story before. Not only did I send an e-mail across the world, but I have poured over my computer for hours upon hours trying to expand my horizons for my story. I'm sure my Dad wishes I put this much effort into my math homework (Sorry Dad). 

This really is a new adventure for me. I have always been obsessed with whatever story I am working on. But I have never tried to track down a tourism center, in hopes they will answer some of my questions. I guess what I have truly realized, more so than the realization of the daunting task of setting my novel in a country I have never personally laid eyes on, is that this novel is different than all the rest. And more importantly, I am really spreading my wings as a writer. Hmmm... spreading my wings... maybe that's why my parents named me Robyn ;)

Enough rambling for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment