Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Writer's Adventure of Trying to Sleep.

As most writers know, inspiration is a finicky thing. Inspiration never pays us a visit when we need it most. Instead it will wait for the most imperfect moment to come knocking on our door. In my case, inspiration usually comes to call extremely late at night when I should be snug in my bed and happily off in dreamland. It never fails that almost every night I will snuggle into my warm bed and just as I get comfortable, the most brilliant ideas I have ever thought of in my entire life (okay... maybe not that bad) will come bounding into my head, chasing away any thought of sleep.
It can be quite aggravating I assure you. 
So there I am. Laying in bed watching new and exciting scenes of my novel flash across my eyes. My heart will be literally pounding from all of the inspiration rushing through my veins. This will go on for several minutes until I realize I am faced with a dilemma.
This dilemma is called Do-I-Get-Out-Of-Bed-To-Write-All-This-Down-Or-Stay-Where-I-Am-Praying-I-Will-Remember-All-Of-This-In-The-Morning.
More often than not, I'm sorry to say, I end up going with the option of praying I will remember all of the details in the morning. And I'm even sorrier to say that that option usually never works out for me.
As soon as I wake up, my first few thoughts will be about my story and I will lay there staring at the wall, racking my brain to remember every little detail I came up with just hours before. And when I find that I cannot, I solemnly comfort myself, telling myself that those ideas probably weren't all that brilliant to begin with. 
Such is the life of a writer. 
And more importantly such is the adventure of an aspiring author trying to get some sleep. 

Enough rambling for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment