Monday, March 4, 2013

Adventurous Imaginations

I have a philosophy about life. That it is one thrilling adventure.
Especially when you are a writer.
Us writers stumble across adventures almost every time we walk out our front door. Or if I'm being honest, adventure can find us even when we are lazily sitting on our couches, eating a bag of Doritos, blankly watching our favorite T.V. shows. In my household, my family and I would most likely be watching Duck Dynasty (Shout out to Si) or Big Bang Theory. 
It might strike some of you odd, or even unbelievable that writers could find adventure sitting in their homes doing absolutely nothing. And I must admit it does seem rather far-fetched. 
But that's what makes being a writer so completely wonderful. Writers don't necessarily have to go out and hang glide off a steep cliff or go deep into the grasslands of Africa and be chased by a fierce and hungry lion to have an adventure. 
Don't get me wrong, that certainly sounds like an exhilarating way to spend your time. However, if you happen to be one of those individuals who don't want to find themselves staring into the amber eyes of lion, getting all close and personal, then trust me when I say that adventure can be found in the safety of a home.
We are able to experience all life has to offer because of a little thing that is most commonly known as an imagination.
God gave writers an amazing imagination that can take them to the four corners of the world, across the seven seas, and maybe even to the moon if we feel the urge to go, without ever having taken a step outside. 
I firmly believe that God gave us such insane imaginations so that writers can write with vivid details so that we can sweep our readers off on a wild ride so that they truly feel they are along for the ride with our characters. 
In fact, I recall telling my beautiful Mediterranean looking sister one day (shout out to Rachel) that the reason I have such an untamable imagination that refuses to stay calm and realistic is because I am a writer and can therefore dream and see clearly all the places I wish to see but can't. And it also helps my readers so they can picture everything I am writing as well. 
Like I was saying before, adventure can come and claim us when we are least expecting it, and that's usually the best kind of adventure. We could be relaxing on our couch with our family laughing at Uncle Si's antics from Duck Dynasty when our imagination will break free from us and we will find ourselves in the middle of an adventure.
Anything and everything can inspire our imaginations, which will therefore inspire a story. So, for my writers out there...always be on the look out for adventure. It could be closer than you think.
Life is still a thrilling adventure, whether you are a writer, reader, or run like the wind away from anything resembling a book. Just be open to greeting your adventure whatever it may be. It could be running for your life from a lion or it could be that your imagination will spring to life and take you off on a crazy whirlwind adventure.

Enough rambling for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment